No subject

Fri Jul 28 15:43:40 BST 2006

firewall to an external server and have that server forward traffic to a CVS
(version control) server (which listens of port 2401) on the internet.
  ______________
| PC client    |
| WinCVS/      |
| TortoiseCVS  |
|______________|

__________________
|Corporate FireWall|
|__________________|
       |s|
       |s|
       |h|
       | |
       |t|
       |u|
       |n|
       |n|
       |e|
       |l|
_________________
|Employers_Server |
|_________________|

   ____________
  |CVSNT_server|
  |____________|

I establish an ssh session with Employer's Server using ssh and specify that
I want to forward requests on local port 2401 through the firewall (that has
traffic on port 2401 blocked) and onto CVSNT server's port 2401.

To do this I do (having downloaded a commandline ssh client):

ssh -L 2401:CVSNT server:2401 rajan at Employers_server

I leave this session alive and use my cvs client (WinCVS or TortoiseCVS,
which I have grown to like immensely over the last week) to connect. When
connecting over the internet (in the absense of a firewall), you have to
specify how to get to the cvs repository on the server. This is done through
a command line client by the command:

cvs -d :pserver:CVSNT_server:/absolute/path/to/repository login

where pserver is a protocol used for communication.

When using the ssh tunnel that command is modified thus:

cvs -d :pserver:localhost:/absolute/path/to/repository login
        ^^^^^^^^^

In a gui cvs client like WinCVS or TortoiseCVS, you just click through
whatever configuration dialogues are available to set the hostname and
change CVSNT_server to localhost and you are in business.

I did not have to set up CVSNT_server in any special way.

Rajan.