[cvsnt] Re: Wrong author of changes stored in the CVSNT History

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Jul 3 19:17:46 BST 2006

Paul Mair wrote:
> is the same user that starts the ssh service from cygwin). I was not able to
> figure out which program is responsible for the problem (cygwin or CVSNT).
> The strange thing is that with username and password everything works fine.
> Someone has had a similar problem with this environment?

This is a problem with cygwin using an undocumented method to change the
username - it fails to tell the system of the user change.  There are a
number of workarounds for this these days and a later version of cygwin
may well implement it.

Note that this cygwin change will *only* work if the user is set to
LocalSystem - nothing else has the permissions even to run the hacks
that existed in the version (it used to be possible but MS locked it
down).  I suspect if you use any other user it's simply running under
the credentials of the sshd server (which is not secure).

In the case it is running under the sshd server there is no way for
cvsnt to find out the username in a secure manner.