[cvsnt] Re: Notify was given when I "alias" !

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jul 7 07:44:01 BST 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:43:55 -0700 (PDT), Le Quoc Thai
<lqthai2004 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  My OS is WinXP, I use CVSNT for server, I want to "alias" an user.
>
>  cvs passwd -r <real accountname> -a <cvs login name>
>
>  and I do follow :
>
>  C:\>cvs passwd -r lqthai -a luong
>Adding user luong at lqthai
>New Password:
>Verify Password:
>cvs [server aborted]: User 'lqthai' is not a real user on the system.

You have not specified *how* you connect to the CVSNT server when you
do the passwd command. Please supply the complete connection string
(CVSROOT). Typically this would be something like:
  :sspi:cvsserver:/Repository

Your user 'lqthai' is not the name of a user account on the CVS server
(as the error message says). You can only alias CVS logins to real
existing user accounts on the PC.
Additionally, you do not specify the server operating system (XP is
not enough). CVSNT requires XP-Pro, you cannot use XP-Home because
Microsoft has limited its ability to network.

As always when you post here you should at least state which version
of CVSNT you use (including the last 4-digit build number) and the
operating system including its service pack level.
The CVSROOT used and the command you have problem with must also be
specified.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)