[cvsnt] Storing Shared Web Assets in CVS

Eric Everman eeverman at usgs.gov
Fri Jul 14 18:20:24 BST 2006

Hi-

We have several web projects that share assets like images, css, and
javascript files.  For instance, a tabbed web page interface might be
used in several projects and would make sense to be versioned as its
own CVS module, including files like:

======= Tabbed web page User Interface CVS contents ==========
tabbed.js, tabbed.css
tab-left.gif, tab-rigth.gif
etc...

The trick comes when I want to use the tabbed interface files in a
versioned project.   A typical versioned web project might look like
this:

======= Typical web project CVS contents ====================
/project_root
     /public_html
         -some project specific files...
         - [Right here is where the tabbed UI files need to be]

These projects are actually Java applications, so they include lots
of Java code, JSP pages, etc..  How can I use CVSNT to version a set
of web assets (JS and CSS files), and still locate it correctly in
the directory structure of a versioned project?  Is it possible to
somehow 'nest' one CVSNT project in another?  Suggestions please...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Eric Everman, USGS
Mobil: 608.213.7720
AIM: usgseeverman