[cvsnt] Re: cvs [2.5.03.2382] admin -s fails

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Jul 20 15:30:34 BST 2006

David Somers wrote:
> I thought it did work... or maybe my memory is overheating.

 From looking at it it tries to free a portion of the static RCS data.. so
won't have worked for quite a long time (impossible to tell how long ago).

It's fairly fixable.. just take the free out..

> - would it be possible for user-variables to propgate from one revision to
> the next (until they are explicitly set to nowt), i.e. make them 'sticky'.
> - can they be expanded into a file in the similar manner to the system
> variables? I had a quick look at the rcs code (yuk!) and I don't think this
> is done, but perhaps it could be tweaked (or would that cause problems with
> the info trigger?)

Hmm interesting idea.  You can set global and pre-revision properties (user
variables map to per-revision properties internally) but the idea of
inheriting them isn't something that I've thought of - would cause problems
for some uses though so it'd have to be an extra option.

Of course the state doesn't propogate either... cvs always sets the file to
'Exp' which is why the option isn't so useful any more.