[cvsnt] New to cvs and having trouble importing

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Tue Jul 25 07:41:44 BST 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:25:14 -0400, "Nick Duane" <nickdu at msn.com>
wrote:

>Ok, that explains it I guess.  However, from your last sentence you make it
>seem like the feature would be difficult if not impossible to implement.
>But it almost does it already.  import will create the directory as long as
>the directory contains at least one file (at least that appears to be the
>behavior from my observations).  So some directory information must be
>making it to the server.

Probably some confusion here. Cvs import will handle *files* like all
other cvs commands and if these files are deposited in a directory
structure then thes directories also get created. But directories are
nothing else but a container structure exactly like the one from which
you import. Cvs does not version directories and empty directories are
not created unless they contain subdirectories that contain files.

When you check out a module and there is a directory that exists on
the server because at one time it contained an active file (and thus
the RCS file that represents that now dead file also exists) but this
file has since been cvs removed, then the checkout will *not* create
the empty directory on your workstation.

I have used cvs import *many* times in client/server configuration and
it does not ever fail to work correctly. But by correctly I mean that
it does not create a server side directory just because one exists on
the client but is empty.

/Bo Berglund