[cvsnt] cvs security

Mik plutonix99 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 27 15:49:01 BST 2006

Sorry if I was been a bit not much clear. I am quite newbie and I am not
good with english language.

> > but in my realm I have 5-10 users for each module and actually there are
> > just about 80 modules. Keep in mind that repository is on Linux RH
server,

> So you don't just want the owner to be able to read the module.. you'll
need
> to define groups for the users of each module and add access control.

Well, it is just what I am trying to realize.
I created a system account 'cvsadmin' and 'cvsuser'. 'cvsadmin' is system
owner of /cvs/cvsroot.....

---) Here it is not clear if and how to set system permissions (sguid for
directories?)

I included 'cvsadmin' in $CVSROOT/admin file and, as 'cvsadmin', I created
virtual user 'cvsgroupX' and 'cvsuserX' as follow:
cvsgroupA:xyz:cvsuser
cvsgroupB:xyz:cvsuser
cvsgroupX:xyz:cvsuser
userA1:xyz:cvsgroupA
userA2:xyz:cvsgroupA
userB1:xyz:cvsgroup1

I created file $CVSROOT/group:
cvsgroupA: userA1 userA2 ....
cvsgroupX: userX1 userX2 ....

I modified $CVSROOT/config:
SystemAuth=no
AclMode=normal

---) Here is not clear how to use rchacl permissions group and if or how
these interact with system permission. I'd like that moduleX/projectX be all
accessible from all users in cvsgroupX but no others. The $CVSROOT/readers &
writers files work for module/directory or for all repository? I have to set
'cvs rchown cvsadmin' in $CVSROOT directory?

> > the development enviroment is on local PC
> > and users work with WinCVS so is not so easy for me create a new module.
>
> ???  creating a module is one command, and the platform is irrelevant to
the
> operation.

Sorry but I am not a developer, I don't use WinCVS but only Telnet to access
cvsnt server so I don't know if am in wrong way or not.  It is not clear if
I can create a new project/module on server without source code and then
populate it with 'checkout' by user, with right permissions of course.

Thanks a lot for your patience
Mike