[cvsnt] CVSNT performance question

Ronaldo Capaverde capaverde at 3ia.com.br
Sat Jul 29 04:26:29 BST 2006

> > We are using the latest version
>
> Which latest version would that be?  Including build number.
>
> > Our CVS repository has about 120
> > projects using collectively
> > about 0.5Gb.
>
> That is not large.
>
> > We use the pserver protocol to connect.
>
> Not recommended, use sspi or ssh (or sserver).
>
> > Browsing the repository ( in eclipse ) takes
> > several minutes.
>
> Probably an eclipse problem.  Browse with the command line or
> WorkspaceViewer (included in CVSNT) and find out if there is a performance
> problem there first.  If the command line is slow (eg: "cvs ls") then do a
> trace "cvs -ttt ls" and each step is timestamped - look for which steps are
> slow and e-mail the info through.
>
> Note: things like enabling network compression, anti virus on the server
> and/or the client and disks and network can all vary performance greatly.

Eclipse repository browser behave wrongly. It performs a "cvs ls -R" at
startup, ie, a recursive listing of all the files in the repository. For a
small one, with tens to hundreds of files, no problem. But for lots of
files, it can effectively put down your server.

As you see, it's not CVSNT's fault.

One solution would be splitting your unique repository in several ones. So,
the impact of a recursive listing should be reduced.

Capaverde