[cvsnt] Unable to resolve merge conflicts

Tony Eva teva at Airspan.com
Mon Jul 31 18:08:35 BST 2006

Client and server both 2.5.03.2260, Linux.

I made some changes on a branch and needed to merge them to HEAD.
After committing them to the branch, I did the usual

cvs update -A
cvs update -j<branch>

and the file was reported to have conflicts:

C <file.c>

'cvs status <file.c>' gave the status as 'Status: File had
conflicts on merge'.

So I edited the file, resolved the conflicts and removed the conflict
markers, and saved the file again.  However 'cvs status <file.c>'
*still* said the file had conflicts.  I am absolutely sure there
were no conflict markers left in the file.

However CVS did allow me to commit the merged file even though it
alleged there were still conflicts.

I don't understand what's going on.  It looks like 'cvs status' has
one view of the file and 'cvs commit' has another.  Is there a way to
force the two to get in sync?

The only thing I can see that may have some relevance is that the
server clock is about 3 minutes behind the client.  Could that have
messed up CVS's timestamp checks somehow?