[cvsnt] repository links (e.g. using modules2)

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Jul 31 19:52:30 BST 2006

Nick Duane wrote:

> Then at the repository you would have the following modules:
>
> repository\project1\serviceA
> repository\project1\userlib1
> repository\project1\userlib2
> repository\project1\userlib3
> repository\project1\3rdParty\product1
> repository\project1\3rdParty\product2
> repository\project1\3rdParty\product3
>
> and via the modules or modules2 you would define the following virtual
> hierarchy:
>
> repository\project1\serviceA
> repository\project1\serviceA\libs
> repository\project1\serviceA\libs\userlib1
> repository\project1\serviceA\libs\userlib3
> repository\project1\serviceA\3rdParty
> repository\project1\serviceA\3rdParty\product1
> repository\project1\serviceA\3rdParty\product2
>
> Does any of this sound reasonable?  If this is a reasonable thing to do the
> one problem I see with it is that if you are working on several modules you
> could have a lot of duplicated files contained in your working directory.

Correct. Depends on how likely this is. If you check out the files to their
repository locations, people make use of the code sharing between projects
and download the shared code only once. The downside is that releasing a
project doesn't release the shared code, and you have to do that manually.

One thing that I think is worth looking into is to incorporate the checkout
of shared code into build scripts, makefiles etc. I just started using
this, and it makes some things easier. This gets rid of the problem with
the dependencies: whenever a dev releases a shared module but still needs
it for another project, it just gets checked out on the next build. Also,
starting work on an already existing project with running a build is a good
idea anyway (mostly).

Gerhard