[cvsnt] Re: File date preserved at Commit time

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Jun 5 22:29:34 BST 2006

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 14:14:45 -0500, "David Best"
<DBest at dataradio-cor.com> wrote:

>We have noticed that the Windows last modify date/time on
>a file we get from our cvsnt archive is the date/time we committed
>the last change to that file.
>
>Is there a way to have the last modify date/time saved be
>the date/time on the file itself before the commit takes place?
>
>We are not considering this a "must-have", but it is an interesting
>difference from some other systems we are familiar with.

You can do this for cvs import, where you can specify the data of the
file as the date of commit.
But such a system does not exist for cvs commit.
And it would create a lot of strange problems as well for example what
can happen is that a later commit is sending in a file with an earlier
timestamp just because the PC of that user happened to have a clock
that was set erroneously.
The way CVS works ensures a common time reference (the clock of the
CVS server itself).

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)