[cvsnt] Re: Branch merging - this seems wrong...

Scott Lehman slehman at Spectralink.com
Wed Jun 7 15:31:03 BST 2006

Andreas,

Andreas' point about storing diffs in SCM archives is correct.  There
are several SCM tools that do not store revisions as diffs but store
entire files.  Dimensions being one.  On demand diffing between
revisions and merging are orthogonal to how revisions are natively
stored in the SCM repository.

scott

-----Original Message-----
From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org] On Behalf
Of Tony Hoyle
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:14 AM
To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org cvsnt downloads at march-hare.com @CVSNT on Twitter CVSNT on Facebook
Subject: Re: [cvsnt] Re: Branch merging - this seems wrong...

Andreas Krey wrote:
> It is completely irrelevant whether they store them as diffs, as full
> text each, as lists of pointers to shared common lines or whatever.
> That is a detail of the rcs file format that is (supposedly)
underlying
> cvs and cvsnt.

It's the whole point of this discussion in fact.  What the end user sees

is only important in that it must be correct.

> Of course I could. As long as the SCM is able to retrieve any revision
> of a file I can simply run diff to recreate the differences. But
anyway
> the merge is not working by applying the individual diffs but rather
by
> one diff3 run. Using diffs in the rcs file was just to keep the files
small.

Not true.

Merging works by taking the difference between the common revision
(branchpoint or mergepoint) and the latest revision on the branch.

That diff is then applied to the target branch.  Only 1 diff and 1
revision are used in that process.

Normally diff3 is not used, unless the client copy has changed, in which

case it's used to more intelligently handle the conflict cases.

If you get the wrong common revision as you want to do you *lose* all
the changes made before that revision as they are not already in the
target branch.