[OT] RE: [cvsnt] Recover removed file from a mounted linux drive

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Mon Jun 12 14:55:30 BST 2006

> From: Nikhil Utane
> Using WinCVS from my windows machine, I removed a file which was on my
> SMB mounted linux drive.
> Normally any removed file would go to the the recycle bin, but since
> this file physically resided on a linux drive it hasn't gone there.
> Moreover I removed a file which I had just 'added' but not
> 'committed',
> so I cannot get it from the CVS itself.
>
> Is there a way to recover such a file?

This is off-topic for CVS, as there's no copy stored in CVS.  Your only
hope is to run an appropriate file undeletion utility for the partition
type on your Linux box.  I hope you haven't written any more data to
that drive in the meantime, as there's a good chance you'll have
overwritten the (new free) blocks containing your data if you have.

		- Peter