[cvsnt] Re: Forced revision problems

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Jun 15 15:05:30 BST 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:34:58 -0400, "Scott" <sleyh at biomec.com> wrote:

>I am having an issue forcing revisions with cvsnt 2.5.03.  I was able to
>force revison on a linux cvs server, but now that I have moved to cvsnt I
>get two errors when attempting to force revisions.  The command text and
>errors are:
>
>cvs commit -m "no message" -r 2.0 filename
>
>cvs server: nothing known about `2.0'
>
>cvs server: nothing known about `--'
>
>I am using wincvs as a front end and have attempted both the standard
>checkbox for forcing revisions and using the command line with the above
>command and get the same error.  If anyone knows how to get the forced
>revisions working I'd appreciate the information.

You can't!
The force revision command has been removed because of various
problems it caused.
File revisions should be treated as internal implementation detail of
CVS and nothing the user should mess with. If you want to keep track
of project versions you should use tags rather than trying to meddle
with the file revisions.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)