[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT does not support *large* binary files (crashes on them) - CVSBINTEST.zip (0/1)

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jun 18 23:51:05 BST 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:45:45 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>Bottom line:
>Not possible to log a large binary file using the build 2354 CVSNT.

But as David is saying:
CVS is not a suitable place for large binaries.
I once tried to version a 3rd party setup CD image (files on the CD,
not an ISO image) but I gave up and instead I stored each new version
in a new folder (still in CVS though) with the version number in the
folder name. As soon as a second revision of a large binary was being
processed our CVS system ground to a halt and there was really no use
for trying to version the files either...

My test today was simply to verify the way CVSNT faile on the cvs log
command. If there is a limit to the operation for example concerning
file size then CVSNT could test for this before going ahead and put
out a quicker and more to the point error message....

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)