[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT does not support *large* binary files (crashesonthem)

Torsten Martinsen torsten at vip.cybercity.dk
Mon Jun 19 20:05:56 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

>FWIW: We keep our exe and dll files in CVS but we avoid committing
>daily changes. We only commit these when we have sent something out
>the door. We do this because there is no way we can later recreate an
>exact copy of the exe file from sources since it contains too much
>'stuff' from Windows as well and also updates to the development IDE
>changes the exe binaries.
>We notice that we get sluggish performance once the ,v file grows big.
>This hits things like commit and tag. But we still need to do it
>because of traceability and the possibility to get old binaries out.

Where I work, we have also had a similar scenario - except that we also
need to track PDB files for debugging purposes. As a PDB file can easily
be several tens of megabytes, this quickly leads to inconveniently large
,v files. Our solution was to store each release (including PDB files)
in a separate folder on a network drive and let the standard backup
procedures handle these.

-Torsten