[cvsnt] Excessive delays with files > ~800KB

John Hardin jhardin at epicor.com
Thu Jun 22 16:47:14 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 03:13, David Somers wrote:
> John Hardin wrote:
> >> I am very willing to run a more-fully-instrumented CVSNT cvs.exe to see
> >> whether it is possible to narrow down where things pause, e.g. in a
> >> local operation vs. a server operation.
> >
> > ...anyone care to comment?
>
> running cvsnt -ttt gives you a tracelevel of 3 which shows a verbose diags.
>
> From your earlier message, you say the delay is after:
> GetUnixFileModeNtEA(C,000006E0) returns 0000
>
> As the source code to cvsnt is freely available there is nothing to stop you
> compiling it with debug symbols and running it through a
> debugger/profiler/whatever to see what's happening...

...except I am not a C++ programmer, I don't have a Windows C++
development environment set up, I am not familiar with debugging C++
applications on the Windows platform, I am not familiar with the
internal architecture of the CVSNT client, and my employer pays me to
develop C# .NET retail database applications, not troubleshoot
development tools.

> src/windows-NT/win32.cpp is where GetUnixFileModeNtEA can be found, so
> put a breakpoint on that and see what happens afterwards.

Personally I would love to learn some new stuff and solve this puzzle. I
really enjoy that sort of thing. I also understand completely why you're
suggesting this, and agree with it.

Professionally I can't devote the time to doing that, and if I can't get
assistance from those who are already living every day in the CVSNT
client source then I will recommend either opening a paid support issue
with March Hare or moving from CVSNT to the Cygwin CVS, which does not
exhibit this problem.

> Greetings from (cold and windy) Luxembourg

Greetings from the (gloomy and wet) Pacific Northwest. :)

--
John Hardin KA7OHZ
Senior Applications Developer, RetailCRM Development