[cvsnt] Re: Checkout HEAD and update to TAG faster thatn update with TAG?

Fri Jun 23 09:14:41 BST 2006

Hello Tony,

On 6/20/06, Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:
> Tobias Rodenbach wrote:
> > cvs co -r <tag> <module> on the client, nothing happens for several
> > minutes.
> >
> > But when i do
> >
> > cvs co <module>
> > cvs up -r <tag> <module>
> >
> > , I get the module contents within acceptable time (below above
> > mentioned several minutes).
> >
> They are in fact exactly the same operation except the co does a module
> recursion first (you can even update using co provided you do it in
> exactly the same way each time).  There shouldn't be any difference.

The difference is defiately there and it is even increasing when
server load get's higher. I assume by module recursion you mean that
each file in the module and it's subdirectories is accessed somehow on
the server. As we assume Harddisk performance to be an issue on that
server, that might or might not be causing that symptom in our case.

However, we are currently working around it by doing the "checkout /
update -R <tag>" sequence in a script. This has the effect that
$Name:$ is not replaced by the appropiate Information (Tagname) in
those cases where the tagged version is identical to HEAD. Is there a
way to force that (as far as I remember keyword substitution is done
on client side)?

Best regards
 Tobias