[cvsnt] perl vs python

Van Quakebeke, Joe Joe.VanQuakebeke at Ingenix.com
Tue Jun 27 14:47:29 BST 2006

All;
	This not an attempt to start a flame war over scripting
languages.

    Is there any known problems with using python for the verifymsg and
commitinfo scripts?  I seem to be running into differences between the
way arguments are passed to python vs perl.  Especially the argv list.
If I just print out the argv list from my perl and python scripts I will
get two very different values passed by cvsnt.

In my perl script I get a temporary file that I can parse and in python
I get a repository directory which I can't open for parsing. Print
argv[0] and argv[1] yields:

perl:
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cvs32.tmp

python:
slc8-3594926\repo2\CVSROOT\CommitVerify.py /Repo2/CVSROOT (leading
slashes removed to prevent hyperlink forming)

and I used the same command line for both commits (This also happens
from the WinCVS client):

cvs commit -f -m "BugID:098765\nComment: some comment" notify

In the perl script, I get the temporary file and I can parse that file
successfully and exit with success if the template is complete.  With
Python, all I get is the directory and I get I/O Error 13's when I try
to open the directory and treat it like a file, which is what should
happen when you try to treat a directory like a file.  I am using python
2.4 and perl 5.8.8.  My CVS version is:
Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2064
(client/server)

Thank you,
Joseph

"Secure Server BSK" made the following
 annotations on 06/27/2006 09:47:33 AM
------------------------------"This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately."