[cvsnt] Re: SServer

Glen Starrett glen at starretthome.net
Wed Mar 1 06:29:06 GMT 2006

Stas Khirman wrote:
> Does CVSNT (linux version) supports SServer ? Accordingly to
> http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/security.htm , it seems that Linux/Unix
> version have to use SSH ( ext: ) protocol, but not SSERVER. Is it right?

Yes, it does support sserver on linux.  What you are looking at is a
chart recommending the most secure, functional, and easy to use protocol
in a given situation.  Basically, SSH is recommended to non-Windows
servers because it is 1) set up by default on most all linux
distributions and 2) is extremely secure.  SSH isn't recommended on
Windows because it requires additional 3rd party software to be
installed and (as I recall) has some issue with the username being
reported to the history / permissions / auditing functions.

--
Glen Starrett