[cvsnt] CVSNT and Scmbug

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sat Mar 4 04:57:05 GMT 2006

Kristis,

>> In particular we discovered that using "generic attributes"
>> for bug numbers (such as tags) prevented us from adding
>> useful features such as commit by bug number, merge by bug
>> number etc.

Cut

> I agree with you. But, I don't see how this is relates to
>Scmbug. Scmbug permits a single change to have multiple bug
>numbers.

The core of my argument was as above - not simply that tags are not
suitable, but that the "best" place for this in our opinion was in the
repository so that CM operations like commit can take advantage of it
with minimal chage to the client interfaces.

The CVSNT project also tends to be monolithic - I can think of good
reasons why, but I doubt if anyone ever sat down and planned to make it
that way.  The CVS project tends to add functions by adding "add ons"
such as perl scripts.  If it cannot be added on then it rarely makes it
into CVS (since such changes require concensus with all the registered
developers due to the CVS charter.  CVSNT tends to add features into the
core whilst at the same time making the core more "pluggable".  Eg: in
CVS you have to enable all protocols or re-build your own from source,
whereas in CVSNT individual protocols can be disabled or even deleted.
And in CVSNT bug numbers are a part of the core (cvs edit -b, cvs commit
-b, cvs update -b), whereas in CVS you'd write a perl script like
scmbug.

>We provide an installation script that installs the integration
>, if that's what you mean by setup.

Perl scripts require perl for a start - and every company we've
installed CM systems in wont allow perl on a windows server (too
insecure - or at least too much work for the security people to ensure
it is secure).

Regards,

Arthur Barrett