[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT speed issues...

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Mar 8 22:50:01 GMT 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:
> This speed difference has been noticeable by me since several years,
> but I am now feeling it to be rather substantial and it is even more
> annoying knowing that I access your CVSNT server over my ADSL Internet
> connection through several firewalls (my ADSL speed is 5 Mbps down and
> 650 kbps up) and the company one using a 100 Mbps LAN.
>
> Are there any special considerations in order to get the speed faster?

Not really.. it's just a standard install on an athlon XP 2400.  It is
linux though, which makes it a bit faster.. not hugely faster though -
you wouldn't notice the difference over an ADSL line.

Is there any AV doing realtime scanning somewhere?  Maybe on the client?

The other possiblities are things like the HD running in PIO mode (13Gb
sounds old, unless it's SCSI), broken network card/hub (test the
download speed by grabbing something from it over FTP/IIS), etc.

I can do a 'cvs ls -R' over our lan to cvs.cvsnt.org in 5 seconds...
locally it's around the same.