Tortoise (was RE: Fwd: [cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Authentication Issue)

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Sun Mar 12 22:35:47 GMT 2006

> From: Bo Berglund
> Tortoise is a strange product to me. I have used CVSNT command line
> and WinCvs for about 5 years now, but out of curiosity I installed
> Tortoise about a month and a half ago to look at it. I'm all confused
> and I don't like the Tortoise paradigm one bit. I want to know when I
> am working with CVS tasks by doing it from a CVS client (like WinCvs)
> and when I am not I don't want it to interfere.
> But Tortoise gets in the way everywhere, even when browsing the file
> system in other applications (Open/Save dialogs) those wretched
> Tortoise file icons clobber the GUI...

Whereas I prefer it to WinCVS or the command line, having stuck with WinCVS for 18 months before installing Tortoise.  One of the reasons I prefer it is that it has these pervasive icons, so I can see the status of my file when I open or save :-).  I use WinCVS for some operations, but very few these days.

Different people like different tools, I guess.

- Peter