[cvsnt] Re: Lost server files but still got client files, reimport?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Mar 20 18:42:57 GMT 2006

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:40:04 +0100, sd <dd at fds.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We just got a server crash and we lost the server files but we still got
>the files on a client machine.

Backup???

>Is it possible to reimport these files into a new repository and still
>keeping the latest tag in the source code itself?
>and is it possible to keep the datetime stamp?

If you have the client sandbox files but nothing on the server then
you are hosed! The best you can do is start over by importing the
existing files in your sandboxes after reinstalling the server etc.
But it will be as a completely new project of course.

Notice that you must do this in order to re-import:
- Copy the sandbox files over to a safe place (backup)
- Then delete all CVS subdirs in all folders in the sandbox tree
- Now make sure you have everything set up to connect to the server
- Then do a CVS import of the sandbox files

Notice that you have a few useful flags you can set for the import
command:

-C  Create CVS directories while importing.

-d  Use the file's modification time as the time of import.

-m  "Log message"

-n  Don't create vendor tag.

If you want to tag the sources thus imported you can do so *after* the
import and set the tag to whatever you had before.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)