[cvsnt] Re: codepages on unix

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Mar 22 09:39:09 GMT 2006

Richard Wirth wrote:
> Hello Tony,
>
>   I have a small problem concerning codepage translation:
>
>   1. CVSNT servers on unix try to run in UTF-8 if the system supports
>      this.

Yes this has been true for a while.  It's the only way to ensure a
common protocol - cvsnt clients then translate back to their local
codepage as required (2.6 or possibly 2.5.04 will probably have a
solution for older clients but I've not really looked at how hard
that'll be yet... mostly it's just a matter of seeing if the client has
sent a server-codepage request and if not translating outgoing/incoming
messages to/from something user defined (on Win32 that'd be the ANSI
codepage normally).  Whether that is easy to drop into the code
somewhere is something that needs looking at).

>   2. If one moves a repository from WIN32 or cvshome server, the
>      codepage of the server has to be overwritten, or the repository
>      has to be converted.

You'd have to do that anyway for a Win32->Unix or Unix->Win32 change,
since the character sets are often different.  It's not been an issue
for people normally - really only affects the comments.

RCS files don't contain codepage information so it's not trivial to
convert automatically -  you can have comments in multiple languages
etc. with no indication of their original character set.

>   3. If one overwrites the servers codepage via /etc/cvsnt/PServer
>      clients running on the same machine as the server also get this
>      codepage forced.

In local mode you have to, so everything gets written to the repository
correctly.. in client mode we don't need to but it's setup long before
we parse the cvs root string.  Shouldn't matter normally though - unix
is quite good at handling this stuff.