[cvsnt] Re: Bad upgrade experience to current CVSNT 2.50.3 (2260)

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Mar 24 19:46:47 GMT 2006

John Peacock wrote:
> Tony Hoyle wrote:
>> Yes it does - it's a mandatory part of the install (it's dbghelp.dll).
>
> It wasn't installed by the installer on this machine.  Please check your
> install script dependencies for NT4.

It's no different to any other platform.  The only NT4 specific stuff is
secur32.dll.  It's part of the base image.

You can run cvsnt fine without it though.. I'm surprised you even
noticed even if it was missing.

> I have no doubt that you do, but it doesn't work here and I got no
> output about what it was having a problem with.  If it logs something
> when "verbose" is turned on, I couldn't find it.  Can you describe a
> little more in detail how this feature works?  If it just updates the
> entire tree starting at the matching line, then I'll keep using my Perl

It'll be in the trace output in the worst case.

It does a checkout, so it'll build directories & add new files etc.  One
thing that Bo noted was that it doesn't handle directories that exist
purely in the modules file... that's true of all trigger scripts at the
moment - it could be fixed for 2.6 at some point (might need a different
syntax for 'module' though).

> I expected that 'cvs up' in a _working copy_ wouldn't be considered a
> server command, since it doesn't change the server contents.  The

postcommand is called for all commands, not just server commands, and
definately not just for things that change the repository.  Even 'cvs
version' hits postcommand.

> postcommand documentation is a little sparse (it might have helped if
> the docs pointed to the commit-files.html#syntax page as well as
> explained whether commands would be on the command line or sent via STDIN).

You can define it either way... the default is listed in the manual but
the common syntax allows you to change it.