[cvsnt] Moving files to different directories

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Mar 28 17:04:51 BST 2006

Why not:

1. Create the new directory structure on the server

2. Copy the RCS files you want to be in this new directory structure
from their old locations

3. Also make copies with new names if that is what you want

4. Then via CVS do a cvs remove command on the files you have copied
above and commit

The original files will now be retained in the version history and even
though they have been removed they will be available for checking out on
previous tags.

The semi-new files will appear in the new directories and with new names
but they still have an old history that has been transported inside the
RCS files. So you can see on these files what happened previously to the
actual "move"

If someone is working on a branch on a file that has been cvs removed
then it does not matter because on his branch the file is still alive.
The problem comes the day he wants to merge the changes back to trunk
when he finds that tghere is no HEAD revision anymore....

Best regards,

Bo Berglund