[cvsnt] Re: Moving files to different directories

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Mar 28 23:38:59 BST 2006

Harrison, Andrew wrote:
> Thanks Tony. We were planning on starting it within the next couple of
> weeks, and then doing it bit by over a few months. We could probably
> wait a couple of months before we start if it made things easier in the
> long run. What sort of time-frame is 2.6 expected in?

Ideally within that timeframe.. haven't had a lot of time to work on it
though (pulled off for other stuff... unfortunately there's only one of
me).  It need to get back to it to clean up the current code.

> You say that it can work with 2.5 if I'm careful. I would be the only
> person who would be doing the moving of files, so if you can stipulate a
> best-practice approach to it then I can follow that.

Checkout the entire sandbox containing both directories, rename the file
(thus moving it) and make sure you commit both directories.  OTOH I
wouldn't want to do it on a production repository even then just in case
(the dependency between directories is partly what 2.6 removes.. thus
making renames 'safe').

The other solutions suggested sound better in the short term.  By the
time 2.6 is ready if course this will be very simple... it'll just be a
straight rename.