[cvsnt] ViewVC and CVSNT on different machines (RCS wrappers + Lockserver)

Oliver Koltermann okoltermann_deletethis_ at gmx.de
Thu Mar 30 17:28:12 BST 2006

Hello list,

I basically understand the idea behind the RCS wrappers to use CVSNT's
built-in extended/fixed RCS-functions. But after compiling and
installing CVSNT 2.5.03.2260 on a linux machine I was astonished to
see, that the wrapped rlog command tries to connect to a CVSNT lock
server - even when just typing:

$ rlog -version
cvs rcsfile: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
cvs [rcsfile aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server

As rlog & co. operate on local files I see no reason for connecting
the lockserver. And BTW I don't have one on this machine, because it's
just a webserver. The repository files are mounted (read-only) over
the network, which should be fine for ViewVC/rlog use.

What options do I have despite installing a (dummy) lockserver? And
what is the intention for connecting to the lockserver? I only need a
working RCS-wrapper without a complete CVSNT server installation.

Best regards,
O. Koltermann