[cvsnt] Re: ViewVC and CVSNT on different machines (RCS wrappers + Lockserver)

Oliver Koltermann okoltermann_deletethis_ at gmx.de
Fri Mar 31 09:54:24 BST 2006

Hello Tony,

thank you for your help.

Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> writes:
> Oliver Koltermann wrote:
> > $ rlog -version
> > cvs rcsfile: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
> > cvs [rcsfile aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server
>
> You need to create a read lock on the file as you're reading it.  All
> cvs operations require a lockserver.
>
> You need to connect to the lockserver on the machine that the files
> are on, that contains the cvs server.  Trying to create a local one
> will lead to errors.

I see your point. I did not think about this because I used the
regular rcs commands until now, and they also don't use the
lockserver. I wouldn't mind, because it's just for ViewVC useage. If
it catches the file in the middle of a write the web output will be
wrong... But I agree that it would be the clean solution to connect to
the lockserver.

Now for the "how": The only place I find to configure the lockserver
is the CVSROOT/config file. This is inside the repository CVSNT
server. But I don't have a repository, I only want the RCS wrappers...

Is there an environment variable or anything to configure the
lockserver access without having a repository? Or is it using the
repository's CVSROOT/config file of the repository I access with rlog?
This contains "localhost" - maybe I have to use the external name of
the server there?

More hints are very appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Best regards,
O. Koltermann