[cvsnt] Re: ViewVC and CVSNT on different machines (RCS wrappers + Lockserver)

Oliver Koltermann okoltermann_deletethis_ at gmx.de
Fri Mar 31 12:24:49 BST 2006

Hello Tony,

thanks again for the information, but:

Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> writes:

> Oliver Koltermann wrote:
>
> > Now for the "how": The only place I find to configure the lockserver
> > is the CVSROOT/config file. This is inside the repository CVSNT
> > server. But I don't have a repository, I only want the RCS wrappers...
>
> I'd suggest using RCS in that case - the CVSNT RCS wrappers are an
> alternative view of a repository.. they have no other purpose.

Huh? I thought the CVSNT RCS-wrappers are intended to be a replacement
for the plain old RCS tools, because they cannot work with the
extended contents CVSNT uses? This is why I want to switch to the
wrappers in the first place...

> > Is there an environment variable or anything to configure the
> > lockserver access without having a repository? Or is it using the
> > repository's CVSROOT/config file of the repository I access with rlog?
> > This contains "localhost" - maybe I have to use the external name of
> > the server there?
>
> Yes, you need a CVSROOT/config pointing to the lockserver.  By default
> also lockservers don't listen on public IPs, so that will have to be
> changed on the server.

Okay, this is another point I missed. Thank you for the hint.

I'm looking ahead in merging all the version control services in our
department into one single machine. But until then I have to stay in
the grown structure using a Win2k-Server with CVSNT + a Linux server
running Bugzilla and ViewVC. I think it will all be more easy when
running a single Linux box...

Best regards,
O. Koltermann