[cvsnt] EVS Windermere (a1) Build 2512 (Test Build Nov 13 2006)

Richard Wirth richard at wirthware.de
Tue Nov 14 11:03:21 GMT 2006

Hello Tony,

Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 11:37:33 AM, you wrote:

TH> Richard Wirth wrote:
>> Hello Tony,
>>

>> TH> The first public test build of evs has arrived!
>>
>> The Installation of evs-client on w2k clobbers an existing
>> installation of cvsnt, cause it uses the same registry key
>> HKLM/Software/CVS
>>
>> Why not to use a separete one for evs? (at least for client install)
>>
TH> It makes upgrading easier since you can just upgrade without having to
TH> reconfigure everything... I need to modify the postinst code to move any
TH> settings when things do move properly (and think carefully about the
TH> layout probably).

TH> The clients don't really tread on each other... evs uses different keys
TH> to find itself (evs uses SearchPath and InstallBase, cvsnt and some
TH> third party stuff uses InstallPath).  For the client there's not a whole
TH> lot in the registry to conflict.  Of course installing both servers is
TH> going to be an issue but then you'd get that anyway... it's not
TH> something I'd expect to work.

Servers are out of scope here. I wanted to use both clients - stable
CVS-Client and beta EVS-Client - on the same machine. But after
installing EVS-Client the old CVS complains:

cvs [diff aborted]: the :pserver: access method is not available on this system

So the old CVS-Client isn't able to find its procol-dlls any more :-(

--
Best regards,
 Richard                            mailto:richard at wirthware.de