[cvsnt] newbie asks 2.5.03 upgrade consequences

Owen Kelly okelly at biopeak.com
Mon Nov 20 17:23:31 GMT 2006

All,

I have inherited a CVSNT server installation:
ver: 2.5.01
OS: Windows server 2003

I believe that this was installed via an msi file, and I want to do the
most painless and reliable upgrade.
(One reason for my upgrade is to fix this problem:
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2006-July/025786.html .)

1. I assume that the most painless upgrade will be again be via MSI,
instead of via the more fully documented method here
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html. Can I know for sure
which method was used to make my current server?

2. What settings should I capture before doing this? I've got everything
from CVSNT control panel, though I expect the new installer inherit
these values without my help.

3. I have seen in the Windows start menu, a tool called "CVSNT password
agent".  Is there any way to know if the existing installation makes use
of this? I ran it and a systray icon appeared (and nothing else), so I
exited the systray icon. That last thing in the world that I want to do
is upgrade CVSNT and discover that I have erased some passwords that are
unknown to me.

4. The current installation is at "C:\Program Files\CVSNT". I understand
from some posts by Bo that I should probably put the new install under
C:\programs (i.e. without spaces). I assume the MSI can install where I
instruct. Should I expect the MSI to uninstall the old CVSNT?

You patience with these elementary questions is much appreciated. I am
familiar with starting and stopping services on the server.

Many thanks,

Owen Kelly