[cvsnt] newbie asks 2.5.03 upgrade consequences

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Nov 20 21:11:58 GMT 2006

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:23:31 -0500, "Owen Kelly" <okelly at biopeak.com>
wrote:

>All,
>
>I have inherited a CVSNT server installation:
>ver: 2.5.01
>OS: Windows server 2003
>
>I believe that this was installed via an msi file, and I want to do the
>most painless and reliable upgrade.
>(One reason for my upgrade is to fix this problem:
>http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2006-July/025786.html .)

As is written here you can just uninstall what you have and use the
official installer to install the new version. This gives you the same
server settings as before.

>1. I assume that the most painless upgrade will be again be via MSI,
>instead of via the more fully documented method here
>http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html. Can I know for sure
>which method was used to make my current server?

If you install using the InnoSetup installer there will be at least
two installer files in the target dir (c:\programs\cvsnt):
unins000.exe (if you look at the file properties/version you see
innmosetup mentioned.
unins000.dat (this is the data file used by the uninstaller)

>2. What settings should I capture before doing this? I've got everything
>from CVSNT control panel, though I expect the new installer inherit
>these values without my help.

All CVSNT configuration items are in the registry and are not touched
on uninstall/reinstall. What you see in the control panel just
reflects these values.

>4. The current installation is at "C:\Program Files\CVSNT". I understand
>from some posts by Bo that I should probably put the new install under
>C:\programs (i.e. without spaces). I assume the MSI can install where I
>instruct. Should I expect the MSI to uninstall the old CVSNT?

Unfortunately the MSI installer does not do what you expect it to do
if you go the Custom way and change the install path...
It also depends on the build number of CVSNT, I found today that this
happens:
2382:
Works OK, if you set it to c:\programs\cvsnt\ the files wind up there

2442:
Not OK, this installet deposits the files in c:\programs\cvsnt\CVSNT\

2471:
Not OK, here the end folder is c:\programs\cvsnt\CVS Tools\

I really cannot understand why Tony is moving the files around like
this and why they cannot be put where instructed.
I have a number of other applications that have to be changed just
because cvs.exe moves about like this, for example WinCvs stopped
working after I installed both 2442 and 2471 until I changed the
preferences to re-target the cvs.exe.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)