[cvsnt] Checked out files UNIX permissions

Richard Wirth richard at wirthware.de
Tue Nov 21 06:30:25 GMT 2006

Hello Matt,

Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 2:06:14 AM, you wrote:

MS> We recently upgraded our CVS server from an older version of GNU CVS (I
MS> can't remember the exact version right now) to CVSNT 2.5.03 (Scorpio)
MS> Build 2382.

MS> We just noticed that the execute permissions for our script files are no
MS> longer being set properly when we checkout a fresh sandbox on a Linux
MS> system (not sure which client).

Normaly the CVSNT server should even work correctly under this
circumstances.
The permissions are stored within the rcs files and are versioned also
as any other change to the source.
Looking at the ,v-files you will find a line like:

'permissions  666;'

In older version of cvs, the permissions are stored as file
permissions of the rcs files.
If one migrates to cvsnt, and the new server does not find permissions
in the respective rcs file, the permissions are taken from the rcs
file permissions (like old cvs does). On any commit, the permissions
are put into the rcs-file.

So if your migration has lost the permissions, it may be they are
alredy lost, when moving the repository to the new location?

But anyway, you can restore the permissions by setting it in your
sandbox and commiting the changes (may be with a -f if nothing else
has changed).

--
Best regards,
 Richard                            mailto:richard at wirthware.de