[cvsnt] newbie asks 2.5.03 upgrade consequences

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Wed Nov 22 20:25:26 GMT 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> I have seen the registry key where you can change this, but I did not
>> dare to do it in case I would break already installed applications...

If the programs uses use SHGetFolderPath to read where "Program Files" is
actually located you shouldn't have any problems... however, far too many
programs assume that Program Files is at C:\Program Files (or if the
program has been written in another locale then there is a high probability
that its been hardcoded to the locale specific location - people who
program in German are especially prone to this bad way of working - IIRC
getting early versions of Sven has problems - yes, German readers, I admit
that I play Sven Bomwollen :-)

>> If I do change the setting I guess that future installs will be
>> directed there, will it not affect the existing system?

Correct. The OS will use whatever you've specified.

> There are apps that will handle this... at least as far as the registry
> goes (I think they just search for 'Program Files' in the keys and
> change them all).

Technically SHSetFolderPath should be used to change the location.

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever