[cvsnt] Migrating from local to remote/server repository

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Nov 28 01:03:49 GMT 2006

At Monday 27/11/2006 20:16, Jeff Douglass wrote:

>I have been using Tortoise with a local repository for a while and now want
>to install and run cvsnt on a server and just use Tortoise as the remote
>client. Is there a way to install cvsnt on the server, copy the existing
>local repository over to the server, and have cvsnt use this repository?

Yes, exactly what you said.
Make sure you have no pending changes on your working copy - commit all.
Install CVSNT on the server. Init a repository and make sure you can
connect from the client. Copy all the repository files from your
previous local repo to the server *excluding* the CVSROOT directory.
You're done on the server now.
Back on the client, checkout the CVSROOT module from the server
-using the new cvsroot- and also from your local repository; compare
and apply any customizations you might have done (scripts, etc) (if
any - you can omit this step if you didn't modify anything there).
Commit, and that's all.
You should be able now to checkout a new working copy using
TortoiseCVS and the new cvsroot.
When you see that all is OK, delete your old working folders and the
old repository, just to avoid confusion.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL