[cvsnt] Basic CVS question

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Thu Nov 30 17:03:25 GMT 2006

Jeff Douglass wrote:

> I am not a CVS power user and have a basic question. I use Tortoise to
> store a bunch of different embedded system products SW builds. When I have
> a new product to do I start with all the source code from a previous
> product and make the required changes to different files. Once the changes
> are compleated and tested I then have the new product build that consists
> of all the source files. Currently I have been doing this by checking out
> from CVS a previous module ( complete source code), make the changes and
> then create a new module for the new product and commit all the files into
> the new module. Is this the correct ( best way) to do this.

That's an unusual way to work. Normally you'd check out a module, make your
changes, commit them back and tag the release...

> I am not sure
> if checking out one module and never commiting anything back into that
> module is the proper way to do things.

If you never ever commit anything back into a module, then you're not using
any of the revisioning support - so you might as well just use regular
folders on a network share to store your files.

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever