[cvsnt] Planned changes to the development, 2.5 and 2.6 future.

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Oct 2 12:59:35 BST 2006

Hi peeps,

The 2.5 cycle is reaching another stable release, and going forward 2.6
will be the main focus of development.

For the 2.5.04 release march hare have donated a free edition of their
Workspace Manager, now called CVSNT Manager.  This is a GUI shell that
allows checkout/import by drag and drop and provides a flat view &
filtering.  It is normally used to complement Tortoise CVS.

The 2.5.04 client will come as a standard package as it is now, and a
'fat' download containing Tortoise CVS and a help and tutorial video.

Going forward for 2.6 big changes are happening to the development:

1. I will be stepping down a lead developer for the 2.5.x series.
Arthur will become lead developer, and will continue to do bug fixes and
stable releases every 3-6 months.  As his focus is on commercial
development those with checkin rights are encouraged to fill in the gaps
and fix any minor bugs that you see.  I won't normally be involved in
anything to do with 2.5 starting from next week.

2. I will be concentrating on getting the 2.6.x series stable and will
be working exclusively on it for the next 6-9 months (with a couple of
breaks for already planned work).

3. The 2.6.x branch gets a name change!  The current working title is
evs, or 'enterprise versioning system'.  In accordance with this
appropriate lists & newsgroups have been created.  Testing and stable
releases of evs will be announced on the evs lists and not normally the
cvsnt list (except for the first couple whilst people get used to the
change).  evs will of course remain compatible with cvs and cvsnt clients.