[cvsnt] Any migration caveats between CVSNT versions?

Paul Bennett paul.w.bennett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 14:59:26 BST 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:59:56 -0400, Jim Hyslop <jimh at view22.com> wrote:

> Paul Bennett wrote:
>> The rest of your reply caused mine eyes to glazeth over a
>> tiny bit. I'm a sysadmin, not a CVSNT admin (nor even a cvs
>> user).
>
> <rant>
> Non-sequitor. Being a sysadmin requires you to have knowledge of all the
> systems you are administering.
>
> Let me put it this way: if I applied to work with you, and said I was a
> sysadmin but I don't know anything about MS Exchange, DNS and WINS
> servers, or IIS, how hard would you laugh before chucking my resume?

Not one tiny bit. DNS and email have their own departments, and I don't
even know anyone who so much as touches that other stuff. However, the
point in general is well made, and certainly taken. There are other
systems that could be slotted in to replace your examples. Read on,
though...

> CVSNT is no different. It is one of the server applications you are
> required to administer, therefore you should be familiar with the terms
> and basic operations of version management.
> </rant>

I am familiar with several kinds of version control software from at least
a user viewpoint (CMVC, RCS, and I helped develop an in-house system at a
former company), and with the basic operations of CVSNT, for suitable
values of the word "basic" -- I have been able to do everything I have
been asked to do so far, and wasn't interviewed on my strengths as a CVSNT
guru. It's less than 5% of my workload. I was more overwhelmed by the
amount of information in that reply than by the technical scariness of it.

> OK, now that I've got that out of the way... :-)
>
> I usually try to use a DNS alias for the repository server. That
> simplifies future migrations: just set up the new machine, test it out,
> and when you've got all green lights it's a simple matter of switching a
> couple of DNS entries. Completely transparent to the users. You must, of
> course, make sure nobody modifies the repository between the time you
> copy everything over and the time you make the DNS switch. The exact
> steps you need to take to do this will depend on how large your
> repository is, how many users there are, and how long you can have the
> server off-line.

That's exactly the plan I had in mind, and that I'm carrying out. Set up
new server, give it a private beta to make sure there are no compatibility
problems with anyone's clients, and that it appears feature-complete and
stable, then take down both repositories, move the data, and shuffle some
DNS entries.

I was specifically concerned with any precautionary steps needed or
recommended given the two versions are so radically different, at least
 from a version number and release date perspective. Seems like the CVSNT
developers are pretty sane and smart, which is not really a surprise
(though both insantity and stupidity have been found in other development
teams...), but I wanted to be sure.

> If you run into any difficulties, feel free to ask here.

I *should* be okay from here on out, but thanks for not writing me off
completely, at least yet. Constructive criticism is better than "QQ
lrn2play"...

Paul