[cvsnt] Strange behaviour of cvs status on a VMWare server...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Oct 23 18:10:59 BST 2006

Our company's IT department migrated my CVSNT server last week from an
old aging HP server running W2000 server to a VMWare server farm where
my old hardware server is now a virtual machine....
They Ghosted the old server and created the virtual machine from the
ghost image and then fired it up again. Initially I could not see any
problems with this server, it seems to be exactly like the old one.
I have ViewCvs installed and it operates just fine as well as
CVSMailer and the Roundup Issue tracker and of course the CVSNT
service.
We are running build 2151 on the server.

All seemed to be OK until a collegue asked me about a command he
regularly runs but now failed on him. What he was doing is selecting a
number of "red" files in WinCvs and then running cvs status against
them to see if they were really modified.
Problem is that the fish never stop swimming....
If you select only a single file then the status command executes
fine!
Also if you select the "Quick summary" type status command it works
fine with multiple selected files.
He had the verbose checkbox checked when he discovered the problem of
course.

I checked his setup and he was running client side 2.0.41 (oops!)
whereas the server was 2.5 build 2151. But upgrading his client to
build 2382 did not change the behaviour at all.

I have now tried various tricks from my own PC, including this from a
command window:
cvs -ttt status -v -- file1 file2
and
cvs -ttt status -- file1 file2

while observing task manager on the server machine.

What I see is that the command runs quickly down until it spits out a
line like this:
then it just sits there and for about 25 seconds I can see the cvs.exe
process in task manager on the server, then it disappears.
All the while there is no data sent to the command window so in the
end I have to Ctrl-C out.
It looks like the server is thinking about the problem for about half
a minute and then gives up.....

Question:
Is this behaviour caused by some incompatibility between CVSNT and
VWWare Virtual Server virtual machines? It sure seems so since the
hardware server did not have this problem that we know of.
Has anyone else seen any problems with such a configuration?

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)