[cvsnt] Strange behaviour of cvs status on a VMWare server...

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Oct 27 12:37:13 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:
> Why this happens is beyond me and it sure looks like a networking
> problem. The status commands produce the start of a display, sometimes
> only the leading ==================== line and sometimes a few lines
> more, but then it invariably stops.
> This always happens with cvs status -v file1 file2, and sometimes also
> with only one file mentioned.
> But never with cvs status -q ....
>
> Why is there a difference?

Those symptoms look like packet loss of large packets - normally caused
by misconfigured MTU across tunnels and/or broken PMTU discovery.  Other
possibilities are a broken network card or switch.

Compression would make this worse since it builds up a chunk of data
before sending it, rather than sending line by line.