[cvsnt] Strange behaviour of cvs status on a VMWare server...

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Fri Oct 27 17:54:28 BST 2006

> From: Bo Berglund
> I had a possibly related problem a year or so back when I failed to
> connect to the remote desktop of a PC on a remote network accessed via
> Microsoft PPTP VPN tunnel.
>
> The remote desktop was drawn up on my PC as a frame and then
> everything stopped. After googling and asking on a microsoft NG I got
> the advice to change the networking parameter:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NdisWan\P
arameters\Protocols\0
> value ProtocolMTU
> Advice was that the value should be lowered until working.
>
> I now have it set to 1300 (don't remember what it was before) and then
> the remote desktop started to work properly again.
>
> Is this the same thing, then I would like to know where to change it.
> The above fix was connected to the VPN tunnel traffic.
>
> Any hints?

Talk to your network and firewalling team.  Modern TCP stacks can be
quite aggressive about increasing segment sizes, and I wonder whether
there's a combination of increasing segments and a firewall that's
blocking incoming ICMP (such as the resulting 'packet size limit
exceeded' messages)?

Just a guess from general networking background - may be utterly wrong
for your environment.

		- Peter