[cvsnt] Switch to user failed due to configuration error.

Miloslav Konopík pup81 at post.cz
Fri Oct 27 20:07:54 BST 2006

Hi All,

I have installed the CVSNT 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382 on Windows 2003
Server Enterprise. Everything works fine until I try to bind a non system
password to a user by the command cvs passwd -a <account name>. After this
command, I get the following error message (logging command included):

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>set
cvsroot=:sserver:cvsuser at deepthought:/TEST
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cvs login
Logging in to :sserver:cvsuser at deepthought:2401:/TEST
CVS Password:
Fatal error, aborting.
cvs [login aborted]: cvsuser: Switch to user failed due to configuration
error.
 Contact your System Administrator.

Apparently, the system recognizes the password well because I get another
error message when I use incorrect password or the user system password
(which is different to the CVS password).

I use neither the active directory service nor a domain server. The CVSNT
service runs on LOCAL SYSTEM account. LOCAL SYSTEM is allowed to
"impersonate a client after authentication". I tried to run the service as
the administrator but it did not help so I put it back to LOCAL SYSTEM.

Everything (including remote access) works fine when I use the real user
system password. But for security reasons, I do not want to use real system
passwords for CVS users authentication. Hence, I would like to ask you,
whether you could help me with this problem.

Thank you very much,

Miloslav Konopik