[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 15:26:22 BST 2006

On 9/2/06, Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:
> Yongwei Wu wrote:
>
> > Why do people use Cygwin, UWin, and such like on Windows? Why do
> > people on Windows need UNIX line endings at all? :-) -- It is simply
> > the way people who are used to UNIX work when they have to work on
> > Windows.
>
> cygwin can use cr/lf quite happily (for example all my bash scripts are
> edited in notepad) - it writes lf but then that's not really an issue
> since cvsnt can read lf only files without any extra options.

The newer version of bash are now able to handle DOS line endings, on
UNIX or not. It is not something specific to Cygwin, I believe. Not
all UNIX tools are at this stage. At least, in general UNIX programs
cannot handle DOS line endings correctly unless special care is given.

Since one cannot predict in advance all the consequences, I would
prefer to make all text files have UNIX line endings under the Cygwin
environment.

> > For me, I often check out files on Windows from the SourceForge CVS
> > server, and sometimes need to run/use them in Cygwin, or copy them
> > around. It is much simpler if I check all files with UNIX line
>
> It clearly isn't much simpler as you have demonstrated - if you stick to
> the correct line endings for windows everything works as intended.

With respect, I do not think so. On the contrary, it will be much
simpler if the only line ending type is the UNIX one. UNIX tools can
have trouble reading DOS text files, but in most cases Windows tools
have no trouble reading UNIX text files (the only exception I know is
Notepad; since I use Vim, I do not care about it).

I am afraid even you, the author, cannot anticipate nor prescribe all
possible usages of the tool you brought about.

Currently SVN has a big momentum in converting existing CVS users. The
big advantage of CVSNT is that it is supposed to be compatible with
CVS. At least it is the reason I choose to use CVSNT--all existing
tools/scripts that work with CVS continue to work with CVSNT (until
the compatibility is broken), and I do not need to learn a new tool,
though, according to others' comments, SVN should be quite decent.
Making CVSNT keep backward compatibility helps CVSNT to grow the user
base healthily.

Best regards,

Yongwei
--