[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun Sep 3 10:20:26 BST 2006

Yongwei Wu wrote:

> So you are encouraging me not to use CVSNT?

..well since you're not writing windows apps.. why use a windows tool?

> For the record, I maintain cvsmenu.vim. I tested a few minutes ago and
> can tell you that it must have UNIX line endings to work under Cygwin.

Either use cygwin exclusively or fix the code.

IMO anything that *insists* on LF on Windows is fundamentally broken
anyway (cygwin doesn't btw. - in fact it's only a config setting to make
it use cr/lf exclusively if you like).

> I have stated previously in this thread that this options does not
> `break' repositories. It can have bad effects if you do not understand
> what it is. No one can prevent you from shooting in your own feet.

Umm yes it does.  I've had to repair repositories that have been broken
like this and it is *not* pretty.  The results can cover multiple
versions and your file history gets absolutely shafted if you start
having to use admin -o to delete the broken revisions.

> It has *exactly* the same effect. SO THE `DANGER' IS STILL THERE IF I
> USE CYGWIN CVS. Maybe it is there if I use CVSNT in Linux--but I have

Treat cygwin as cygwin not windows.  Don't mix them.

There is no danger in Linux because lf is native to Unix code and nobody
ever uses cr/lf there.

> The purpose of --lf, I believe, is to emulate a UNIX environment in
> Windows: nothing more, nothing less. Every mistake you can make with

No.  The purpose of --lf was to checkout a sandbox using lf.  It does
not emulate anything.

> It is still a compatibility issue (with WinCVS and TortoiseCVS, which
> I used to use; now I prefer the command lines more). Yes, I began to
> use this option when I first used WinCVS. It is clear an option exists
> because there is a reason.

It exists because the wincvs team put it there years ago and it never
got removed when better options became available.

> For cross-platform usage, people sometimes need UNIX line endings on
> Windows. Cygwin, UWIN, and MSYS (MinGW build environment) are
> examples. If you insist you do not want CVSNT to be used in those
> environments ...

CVSNT works fine in those environments... I'm sure all of those have no
probmem with cr/lf and for those parts that do just use -k+L.