[cvsnt] one time checkout files

Rick Martin rsmandcam at _NO_SPAM_sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 15 18:11:58 BST 2006

This maybe slightly OT but I'd like to see how others deal with this issue.
I have a development system under CVSNT control. There are a handful of
configuration type files that each user needs, but once the user gets the
default version of the files I do not want them to receive any more. After
the first check out I want these files to be modifiable by the user and do
not want them to commit or update them. Is there any way to indicate a file
in CVS that is only updated on Check out vs. Update?
I see a couple of ways of doing this:
1. Don't include the files in the CVS module and have a zip of the files in
question and a policy that when a developer does  a check out on the module
they unzip and get the config files. I don't really like this because it's
not very automated.
2. Include the files in the repository and set a policy that you never
commit your changes to these files. Unfortunately, a GUI like WinCvs will
always show these files as changed and needing commit.
3. ??? any ideas

I'll probably go with option 1, but I'd sure like something a little more
automated. I hate to have to remember special steps <g>.

TIA,
Rick