[cvsnt] Jar files becoming corrupt

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Tue Sep 19 16:04:00 BST 2006

Bryan Leber wrote:
> So I talked with my manager about this CVS jar corruption. I have tried
> to do an upgrade of the server version and this didn't help. I looked
> through the logs and I believe it showed that all the jars where
> committed as binaries. My manager believes that CVS is not storing these
> files in binary for some reason. This only happens if we
> move(delete/add) the files after creating a new branch. Manager also
> said that these are actually third party file that we have got from
> various places.

The problem is more likely just what I said -- that the binary file is
stored as binary, but was stored with a bad version of CVSNT.  One of
the characteristics of the bug was the HEAD version was fine but any
past versions were bad.  Try pulling a previous (non-HEAD) version to
verify.

> So now I am not exactly sure where to go from here. These third party
> jars are not corrupt on our head branch version 2.4, but only on the
> patch branches such as version 2.3.1. What do you guys suggest to do at
> this point?

You're likely going to have to reassemble the 'important' versions of
those JAR files and put them back in the tree.  Use the current stable
version of CVSNT server.  Start from the oldest important version and
add it / tag it as you need, then move forward through the versions and
commit them / tag them / branch them as appropriate.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett