[cvsnt] Updating CVS Server

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Sep 19 22:01:46 BST 2006

At Tuesday 19/9/2006 17:40, Bryan Leber wrote:

>So if for some reason the server hung up, and we did a reboot the
>information would stay no matter what? Another question may be, if the
>server crashes and we do a fresh install of cvs server, is there any way
>to get the information from past branches and tags back in as if nothing
>has ever happened? Retrieving the head branch wouldn't be a problem, but
>I'm not sure what about all our previous versions?

CVSNT stores all the past revisions of each module using files on
disk, including all tags, branch names, messages, options, etc. All
those info goes on the repository dir and subdirs. You should back up
those files regularly - do you???
In case the server crashes, and so badly that those files are
corrupted, you must restore them from your backup - and lose just the
commits made *after* the backup. If the repository files are OK, you
don't lose anything.

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.