[cvsnt] Updating CVS Server

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Wed Sep 20 17:17:49 BST 2006

Bryan Leber wrote:

>>Playing devil's advocate here: and have you checked that you can do a
>>restore from those into a clean system and things still work?
>
> I am installing the version that we currently have on the server. I am
> doing changes, creating branches, and such. Once I get the modules in
> and made changes, I will be upgrading to the newest version 2382. I am
> going to create an instance where I delete the respository folder after
> I made a back up and then try to restore it. I will let you know;)

Good idea. You'd be surprised how many times a backup system seems to work
but fails when its really needed because nobody tested that restore worked
too.

BTW, for a real test you should restore onto a different server. (Be
paranoid, assume your physical machine gets wrecked and you have to restore
onto a virgin system.)

I'll shut up now... last time I wrote a paper on disaster recovery I scared
the crap out of the managers with all the scenarios I came up with they
didn't dare show it to the clients (e.g. they forgot that when your data
lines get severed - not uncommon when the builders are digging up the road
outside your office - that having a separate lines coming in over a
different physical route suddenly doesn't sound so stupid. Funnily enough
when I did networking at IBM that was a standard thing to suggest to the
clients).

> <You have a PHB
>

> What is a PHB?

Good grief, I though everybody knew that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointy_Haired_Boss

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever